Welcome to Project 2002 please see the rules before joining our server

Installation Guide

Wanting to play, but I'm a solo player

General chat and server information.
Kyosai7

Wanting to play, but I'm a solo player

Postby Kyosai7 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:42 am

I have absolutely no interest in boxing. Is it worth to play here? I've also heard the server's top heavy, which kinda concerns me. I play mostly melee, and I know how hard leveling up something like a Pally or a Warrior would be with no group...

moghedan

Re: Wanting to play, but I'm a solo player

Postby moghedan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:13 am

Most people start solo, then work themselves up to two or three. Eventually you add a druid on follow for emergency heals and ports; an odd buff here and there.

The server is top heavy, but their are groups to be had at most times of the day. Boxing actually means two people are a group, so you need considerably fewer people to make a group. Follow the leveling pattern of Kurn's near 10, Mistmoore at 20 and you will almost always find a group til 40. Most people are happy to sit a box for an actual player, and this server's xp mechanics work in such a way that anyone with less than 6 people in a group get more xp per kill by adding another person, even if that person is afk the entire time.

You will find that most people three box some variation of tank/healer/slower&cc. DPS is always lacking. Monks here are subject to the monk nerf of the time... monks tank like wizards, not paladins. Rangers and Rogues are uncommon, as they are harder to fit into the three person dynamic.
Ryogi - Paladin
Sonsi - Bard
Galleria - Merchant

the337th

Postby the337th » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:34 pm

Solo will always be a challenge here, but not impossible if you have the patience.

There are multiple people in Ding (leveling guild) who are doing their solo toon thing and still making progress. I know of at least a couple who are pushing level 60/AAing at the moment.

Definitely more challenging for a melee than a caster, there will be times you don't find a group and solo options might not be worth the trouble.

I think if you make the grind into the 60s it's likely to offer a lot more promise since many trio's are happy to bring in another useful player for xp bonus purposes, and a competently single boxed character can be a treat.

The server is definitely top heavy, but the mid levels aren't barren by any means, people are just typically focused on the hotzones for those levels (Mistmoore, Katta).

If you decide to give it a shot, join Ding asap, at the very least you'll find some folks willing to give you a leg up. I'm always keeping an eye out for solo toons that could benefit from the extra help.

Kyosai7

Postby Kyosai7 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! I'm torn between P2002 and EQ Reborn, which just started. I like that it has buffs to out of combat regen so it's easier to solo, with less downtime, but it's going to be locked to Velious, so no Luclin or AAs...

Like, both of you have stuff I want! lol

Taian

Postby Taian » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 pm

Yep, and some people prefer that style of play and some will prefer the style of play here. Just have to figure out if there is certain game breakers for you. Not knowing too much about their server (just read the faqs), the biggest ones you already mentioned is velious capped and OOC regen. Personally OOC regen is a deal breaker for me, but there are some who really enjoy it.
Taian
CSR Lead / Quest Development

Grantz

Postby Grantz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:56 pm

I started off as a solo Necromancer. Once I got in my 50's killing became a bit slower and i worked on a bard and druid to assist me. Certainly doable, but its kinda easy to just have that little healer autofollow you. Its like you gain new abilities to solo faster in a sense. I remember as a young necro doing Seafuries for coin, I would have my druid just sit at a camp spot and regen / sow / heal me as needed. Eventually the boxing becomes second nature.

I fully enjoy boxing now.
Infestation - Necromancer
Catbox - Meowladin
Jaredson - Tunarian Priest

Banelor

Postby Banelor » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:02 pm

I don't box at all myself, mostly because I just don't want to put the effort into doing it. My box accounts will probably go to my kids if they show an interest in joining me. I currently have a 51 whammy that has been solo leveled through both solo and group play. I also have several alts mostly solo friendly (necro, mage, etc...) that I play when I want to do something other than play my shammy. I tend to solo a lot while l lfg, always happy to buff anyone wherever I'm on.
All of my toons are in Ding and really love the guild, lots of very friendly and helpful folks.
I haven't been on in a while due to RL things but will be back in the very near future I hope.
Look for my main, Rumgrok in game. When I'm not hunting im usually in pok near the small bank driveby buffing everyone in sight.

pvb32978

Postby pvb32978 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:21 am

I've found that sometimes I don't really enjoy three boxing, but two boxing is about the sweet spot. I find solo boxing to be waaaay to slow paced, once you get used to it, and especially if you choose the right combo, two boxing will vastly improve your ability to kill stuff on your own while not being so fast paced as to stress you out.
Gankis 60 Shaman
Warder 60 Beastlord
Pyrrhic 60 Wizard
Midnight 60 Shadow Knight
Actium 41 Ranger
>Unity<

Erleichda

Postby Erleichda » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:41 pm

I think there's a nice compromise where you mostly solo, but you have a second account with a priest of some kind on it. When you can find a group for your solo that's great, but when you can't or want to go off the beaten path, you have that priest in your back pocket. You can play it really badly, maybe even not at all during fights. That's ok. Just medding and healing you up between fights will make "solo" a lot more bearable.

The way grouping xp works here as long as a group has at least 2 people in it already you can just keep adding more without much effect on the xp everyone gets per mob, so if your pocket priest is starting to fall behind in levels and you find a group that has a spot they should be fine with adding the priest as well, even if they do nothing but cast a couple buffs and stand there. I'm pretty sure that a lot of times adding a lower level character will actually improve the xp of the other players because of the way the grouping bonuses and xp distribution math works.

This is all assuming you want to play some kind of melee for your main character.

jrb531

Postby jrb531 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:12 pm

Not only do I solo but I play only one class :)

Great server and having a blast!

Don't feel the need to have to box just because others do and BTW not everyone boxes.

IMHO the best group is a group of six individual people :)

Return to “General Discussion”