Welcome to Project 2002 please see the rules before joining our server

Installation Guide

Weapon skill up rate

General chat and server information.
moghedan

Re: Weapon skill up rate

Postby moghedan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:08 am

Briefly looking through the code, it appears that dex is not calculated into it. The biggest effect on skilling up is your current skill, the closer it is to max skill the slower it is to level it.
Thank you, that is kind of a huge revelation, and contrary to 20 years of Verant lies.
Ryogi - Paladin
Sonsi - Bard
Galleria - Merchant

Taian

Postby Taian » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Briefly looking through the code, it appears that dex is not calculated into it. The biggest effect on skilling up is your current skill, the closer it is to max skill the slower it is to level it.
Thank you, that is kind of a huge revelation, and contrary to 20 years of Verant lies.
The server code isn't always how it was on live. Stuff like how skill up rate is calculated may have never been figured out correctly, so eqemu does the best it can. I am just telling you what is on OUR server.
Taian
CSR Lead / Quest Development

seamonster

Postby seamonster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:01 am

Skilling up in weapons does seem slower than EQ live to me. I got a new 2hs sometime in the late 20's and when I got it, my 2hs skill was like 100/150. It took me using the weapon every single fight until around level 45 just to get it up to my level. Maybe on EQ live they used a different formula for 2h skillups than 1h since the delay on 2h is usually around twice as much.

Also, as someone who played EQ live during the classic to Velious era, melee damage seems REALLY low on here compared to EQ live. You could loot a 20/47 black iron 2h sword on EQ live around level 20 and go to town against blue con goblins in Runnyeye. On this server, you seem to perform worse even if you have way better weapons like 30/40 2h, or dual wielding 12/24's or something. Those weapons should be putting out crazy damage vs those goblins but it feels like you're swinging rusty weapons even if you're a troll or ogre.

The miss rate also seems high. If this server inherited any PEQ code, that might be the problem. I logged on my level 65 elemental geared ranger on PEQ the other day and zoned to Firiona Vie. Those Drachnid spiders are low green cons to a 65, but my miss rate with both melee and bow attacks was enormous against them. On EQ live, I seem to recall there being an EXTREMELY low miss rate vs green con trash. I don't know if this was a recent PEQ change where they screwed something up or if it's always been like that.

zeonick

Postby zeonick » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Just looking at this from a "historical perspective" back in Kunark era I thought skill ups were good. I leveled my toons to 60 and never really had to go out of my way to keep my skills up. On my monk I'd switch to a 2hb after leveling and get my 5 skills before too long and switch back.

When velious was released something changed with the code and skills went up way too fast. I remember porting to cobalt scar on an alt and leveled swimming to max going to SG entrance :D so obviously it was nerfed. But instead of going back to normal it went to the abysmal rate it is at now.

Non-stop complaining about it since then, and as we get newer sets of players the topic continues to be brought back up.

Which makes me ask: if exp is set to be faster here, why not just make skill ups a little faster to make them equal? It doesn't make much sense to make xp go a little faster, but then force people to go out of their way to train skills (way more boring than grinding). Gnome sayin?

This is just my thoughts, and all my toons have max skills so I really don't have a dog in this fight. Some day I'll finish leveling some alts though.

Also, it's all Boragars fault.
Zeonick - 65 Iksar Monk
Colosik - 65 Iksar Shaman
Flokki - 65 Barb Rogue
Ozox - 60 Dorf Cleric
Sparkles - 55 Enchanter
Barkles - 52 Druid

Taian

Postby Taian » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Also, it's all Boragars fault.
Truer words have never been spoken.