Welcome to Project 2002 please see the rules before joining our server

Installation Guide

Best of the Best Info

General chat and server information.
Taian

Best of the Best Info

Postby Taian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:00 pm

If anyone has some good info for the original Best of the Best tournaments, please send it my way (links, vids, ss's, etc) in a PM. Looking at starting them up in a few months, and will try to keep it as "classic" as possible (won't be 100% due to levels and other factors).

Looking for the following:
- Rules for each class due to some of them were different.
- Items allowed / not allowed.
- Spells allowed / not allowed.

Also open to different ideas, but I'll preface it by saying most ideas won't get implemented (I'm ready for a lot of dumb ideas from people :lol: )

And yea, I was stepping away, but somehow keep coming back, damn ya'll.
Taian
CSR Lead / Quest Development

feverb

Re: Best of the Best Info

Postby feverb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:07 pm

I don't know if you were just looking for ideals about the best of the best tournament or not. but I have had this idea brewing in my noggin for some time, back during EQ Alpha, i don't know if you're aware, but playable races included Aviaks and Gnolls. If you could make that happen (something EQLive was never able to do) you'd be my best friend in the world.
~Bootee.

Taian

Postby Taian » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:13 pm

I don't know if you were just looking for ideals about the best of the best tournament or not. but I have had this idea brewing in my noggin for some time, back during EQ Alpha, i don't know if you're aware, but playable races included Aviaks and Gnolls. If you could make that happen (something EQLive was never able to do) you'd be my best friend in the world.
~Bootee.
Like for an event, or you mean normally all the time? I'm guessing you mean the latter, which isn't going to happen. Could and should are two different things :).
Taian

Tettnang

Postby Tettnang » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:21 pm

I’m going purely off memory here, but I think there was first a gm cancel magic that went off to make sure no players had any buffs on, then there was a period where the players could self buff, and once the timer was up the fight would start. It was held in the arena in lake Rathe. I think all items were allowed as long as they were equipped by the players. No potions were allowed.

I can’t recall any items that were banned, though there could have been some for sure.

Hope that helps even a tiny bit.

Tettnang

Postby Tettnang » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Also: super glad you’re back :)

feverb

Postby feverb » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:29 pm

~Bootee.
Like for an event, or you mean normally all the time? I'm guessing you mean the latter, which isn't going to happen. Could and should are two different things :).
Lol fair enough. it wouldn't be as cool without being able to see armor equipped like you could then anyway, though some potions to turn into those things would be Cool AF lol. Also, Welcome Back!!

Reborn

Postby Reborn » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Exciting!

kawphy_MM

Postby kawphy_MM » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:03 pm

If anyone has some good info for the original Best of the Best tournaments, please send it my way (links, vids, ss's, etc) in a PM. Looking at starting them up in a few months, and will try to keep it as "classic" as possible (won't be 100% due to levels and other factors).

Also open to different ideas, but I'll preface it by saying most ideas won't get implemented (I'm ready for a lot of dumb ideas from people :lol: )

I'm not sure there were many, if any, restrictions for the classic BotB competitions. Thott from Afterlife wrote an analysis after winning the server-wide Bard BotB tournament (he touches on the cleric tournament a tiny bit at the end), which dates back to August 18, 2001. He addresses a major "reason" that people thought he won—his gear. It wouldn't have been 2001 if people didn't complain about AL. HAAAAA! In his post, he makes no mention of any kind of restrictions (if there were any he absolutely would have address them). At the end, he does say that Puretone should have been disallowed but because it was not, and the luck of the /ran to determine fight order, he was able to win.

"Puretone is a major advantage, one that in my opinion should have been disallowed from the start." ~Aftathott

Full disclosure: I played on MM and had a couple friends in AL.
_Ticktock :: bard

Taian

Postby Taian » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:35 pm

I'm not sure there were many, if any, restrictions for the classic BotB competitions. Thott from Afterlife wrote an analysis after winning the server-wide Bard BotB tournament (he touches on the cleric tournament a tiny bit at the end), which dates back to August 18, 2001. He addresses a major "reason" that people thought he won—his gear. It wouldn't have been 2001 if people didn't complain about AL. HAAAAA! In his post, he makes no mention of any kind of restrictions (if there were any he absolutely would have address them). At the end, he does say that Puretone should have been disallowed but because it was not, and the luck of the /ran to determine fight order, he was able to win.

"Puretone is a major advantage, one that in my opinion should have been disallowed from the start." ~Aftathott

Full disclosure: I played on MM and had a couple friends in AL.
There was definitely restricts on items, and certain classes for certain things, I just haven't found the official list. I don't think he is saying puretone itself should be disallowed, but due to the order and time frame, someone could end up in a match where they have puretone up and the other bard doesn't. Most likely puretone will not be allowed, same with similar other things due to time limitations.
Taian

Return to “General Discussion”