Welcome to Project 2002 please see the rules before joining our server

Installation Guide

Need Box Crew Ideas

General chat and server information.
Sunbeam

Need Box Crew Ideas

Postby Sunbeam » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:39 am

Okay, I know this has come up a lot, but usually it is kinda useful to see different takes on this.

I've been thinking for a while about playing here.

Not planning on the raid scene, probably just levelling and seeing what I can do with a box crew.

Anyway I want to be able to pull off some things in regard to trade skills as well.

1) I want to level a Shaman to make DS and SOW potions.
2) Also thinking about levelling a tinkerer, though honestly the Stalking Probe seems like the only thing I'd ever really use.
3) Really want a tracker and porter with each box crew, which is my problem I think.
4) Someone who can single pull, even if it is a one trick pony like Pacify, as opposed to FD.

Basically since I won't be a raider, I want to see how far I can get by making the trade skills armors and whatnot. I don't mind grouping at all, but I don't really want to be in a raiding guild (if they work here like they did on live).

Anyway the group I thought of first was:

1) Beastlord
2) Cleric
3) Mage

No tracker or porter. But putting hp buffs on a Fire pet will take you a LONG way. Beast crack, plus the Mage can DS the Beast pet. Lot of good things here, but no porter or tracker.

I was also thinking of subbing out the Mage for a Ranger. Heck eventually the Cleric can melee (particularly when something is slowed) with his proc hammer. Just autofire on the Ranger.

Plus I get forage, and I wanted to make Faithstones for the Cleric, so he can get somewhere to sell Phat Lewts and access POK, then gate back.

The second group I was considering, is a lot more nebulous in my mind.

Shaman and Druid, then what? Paladin maybe? Or maybe put the Ranger in this group, in place of the druid?

Really want porting, but after playing the game this long, tracking is so useful when you are hunting down some mob or other for a drop.

Also, I am using the client from the link on the wiki page, and I can't resize the windows. I was hoping to have the two pet classes in two windows on the screen, and have a hot key to pop up the cleric window for casts when needed. Is there some program everyone is using?

Anyway a Cleric with a Mage has a lot of synergy, and it gets around the Achilles Heel of the Mage I found when playing one on live (no way to split camps). Kind of attached to that idea.

Can't really think of what to do with a Shaman group though. Obviously melee, but...

Alternately I was thinking of just levelling a Bard solo to farm stuff, and get the lay of the server.

Anyone got any thoughts?

pvb32978

Re: Need Box Crew Ideas

Postby pvb32978 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:50 pm

SK, SHM Druid would provide all you are looking for. Or Ranger instead of druid, but then you don't have ports. This provides you with the best puller in the game short of a bard, which is an SK. They can pet pull, FD pull, snare pull. Shaman for alchemy, heals, slows, buffs. Druid can be a simple nuke/dot box, or if you use a ranger they are the easiest third box option once you get your archery AA's.

Alternatively, you can swap out the druid/ranger for a wizard, but then you lose tracking. Or you could go Ranger/Shm/Cleric but then you lose ports and are restricted to pacify pulling.

Long term, the most powerful trio that is going to give you what you are looking for minus porting, which isn't that big a deal honestly with PoK, is going to be SK/Shm/Ranger, you could always swap out the Shaman for a cleric late game and stick to willsapper slowing, which is actually pretty good. I ended up swapping my shaman out of my trio for my cleric.
Gankis 65 Shaman
Warder 64 Beastlord
Pyrrhic 65 Wizard
Midnight 65 Shadow Knight
Peng 65 Cleric
>Unity<

Rhaa

Postby Rhaa » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Tricky....

Gnome-Paladin (Pacify-Pulls)
Shaman
Druid (Tracking and Porting)

Much heal, less damage.

SK
Shaman
Gnome-Wizard

Everything but Tracking

Getting a combo which fullfill everything you asked for will result in one lack of essential mechanics.
Main-Setup:
Gilgamesch - Level 62 Shadowknight (Oger)
Sickboy - Level 62 Enchanter (Darkelf)
Troy - Level 62 Druid (Halfling)

Reserve:
Tharan - Level 59 Paladin (Dwarf)
Rhaa - Level 59 Beastlord (Iksar)

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Shm Pal/SK Dru is a pretty solid combo and fulfills what you are looking for.. dps isn't bad. Druid in postorms would kill it tho..

If you only want a shaman for alchemy I would say start with something else then make a shaman alt just for alchemy. Shaman brings slow haste buffs and lil bit of dps to the table but you really need to be 65 with Q to unlock the shm game.

Alchemy doesn't yield alot of profit on this server, adleast when I tried last year. SoW pots trivial out at 37 and DS 52 so it's not an expensive tradeskill to get up to a practical level. Past that is gate potions which sell infrequently but it's expensive to make and sometime you sit on them for a while.

Enchanter Druid Knight would give you snare heal port SoE charm mana regen haste slow paci and rez/fd heal/dps brells/nothing. IMO This is the ultimate trio.

Idk check out some of the other threads, my advice on this subject now is play what you will have fun with or a class you've never played or 3 of the same race because aint no party like a halfling party.

Sunbeam

Postby Sunbeam » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:48 am

I am going to make a first run with a Cleric/Ranger/Mage trio I think. I know you can play whatever you think is fun, but I think it can fear kit pretty well up to level 60 or so. Plus the mage can summon arrows, as it will be a while till I get a bracer or EQ. Although most likely melee will be the thing till the 50's and the Archery AA's.

Who knows, if I find that crown thing from Island 6 in the bazaar, I might even be able to get the Mage epic pet. I'm sure that will outdamage even the water pet backstabbing till the Planar pets come around.

kronikax

Postby kronikax » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:45 am

I am going to make a first run with a Cleric/Ranger/Mage trio I think. I know you can play whatever you think is fun, but I think it can fear kit pretty well up to level 60 or so. Plus the mage can summon arrows, as it will be a while till I get a bracer or EQ. Although most likely melee will be the thing till the 50's and the Archery AA's.

Who knows, if I find that crown thing from Island 6 in the bazaar, I might even be able to get the Mage epic pet. I'm sure that will outdamage even the water pet backstabbing till the Planar pets come around.
That group sounds like a lot of fun! And having fun is the most important thing. But since you were asking earlier about the "ideal box crew," have you considered swapping out the Mage for an Enchanter? RNG/CLR/ENC is an extremely powerful trio. For most of the game, the ranger tanks with cleric heals and the enchanter does haste/slow/CC/charm pet dps (possible to do all four while 3-boxing once you get the hang of it - and charmed pets are soooo sick in this era). Once the ranger gets EQ, you reach your final form - the hasted charmed pet tanks the slowed mob with the cleric's complete heals, and the ranger does ranged dps (double damage, too, because the mob is being tanked) while also providing solid pulls, sow, and a great snare to make the charming much safer. You lose the mage pet which hurts a lot, but you get slow, haste, and mez in return.

Whatever you pick, I hope you enjoy yourself! :) Let us know how it works out!

Taian

Postby Taian » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:54 am

Start with the class(es) you absolutely want then build out from there.

Let's say you want a cleric for sure. Beastlord+cleric is a great combo that you can add almost any dps. And as you mentioned Ranger as an option, end game they would do amazing with that trio.
Taian
CSR Lead / Quest Development

Sunbeam

Postby Sunbeam » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:44 am

My Tab-Fu isn't good enough to handle an Enchanter in a box crew I think. That always seemed really stressful too, even if so powerful at high levels.

Beast might be better than Mage at high levels. But the Fire Pet with a couple Cleric hp buffs will level really easily up to around 50 (particularly since the Cleric can hopefully single pull inside camps, and the Ranger will be able to Harmony - well if this is old school Harmony).

Get some gear together and see how I like it at level 50. If it kind of drags, odds are I can use a lot of the gear to equip other chars.

pvb32978

Postby pvb32978 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Your trio will be highly desired as an addition in any xp group, have fun, that is after all the name of the game.
Gankis 65 Shaman
Warder 64 Beastlord
Pyrrhic 65 Wizard
Midnight 65 Shadow Knight
Peng 65 Cleric
>Unity<

Kaeltyk

Postby Kaeltyk » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:45 pm

This is very helpful with all the ideas and reasons for the different classes. I am just starting to tri-box myself, and it seems to be a lot to juggle. But I have hope and very encouraging guildies that I will get it. Thanks for all the tips!

Return to “General Discussion”