Welcome to Project 2002 please see the rules before joining our server

Installation Guide

How to noob.

General chat and server information.
natewest1987

How to noob.

Postby natewest1987 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 am

Ok friends, I’m at a weird spot in EQ learning curve. I did play live up until about Luclin, I believe; however, I never got above level fortyish and I’m mostly lost at this point.

I’m hoping I can kind of throw out some questions / curiosities of mine and some of you may feel inclined to chime in. I’d greatly appreciate it.

I have the following characters: Shaman (56) , Monk (52), Enchanter (54), Necro (48), Wizard (52). My shaman seems to be the center of any group that I put together with these options. I came across a few suggestions online about monk/shaman/necro , but there are some things I run into that I have no idea how I would deal with in that composition.

For instance, I can’t make it past any caster mob near my level. Wizards will nearly one shot me, and the others have too much combined Hp + damage potential for me to outlast. My shaman also seems to tank better than my monk... lol. How have any of you managed to deal with casters with these classes ?

I also can’t split camps without over exposing myself and dieing from too many loose variables. I’ve mostly been confined to entrance area mobs along the zone lines of kunark dungeons. As for trio composition, there feels like too many things my trio can’t do. So, if anyone might have suggestions on how to rework my trio composition, I’d be glad to hear it. Generally I like to kill things fast and move between kills quickly. Is there another class I could mix into this to fill out areas where I’m weak at?

Another thought - are there any areas that I could work to find equipment that is accessible to my character level and non-veteran skill level ? I saw that there are a number of nice items in the grey that would be upgraded for me, but I don’t want to make things miserable to find out if that’s outta reach for right now.

Sorry for the long post. Really just don’t know enough about the game ( still... after like 20 years ) to articulate whatever it is that I seem to be doing wrong. Thanks for any insight.

- Nate

Aztefano

Re: How to noob.

Postby Aztefano » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:53 am

The chanter can split any camp into manageble chunks, got both lull and mez. Looking at my own playstyle it would probably be shammy/monk/chanter, perfect for dungeons!
Aslan - Bard
Lucien - Wizard
Naughtius - Shaman
Aztefano - Ranger
Bones - Shadowknight
Fruli - Cleric

Manstomper

Postby Manstomper » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:32 am

Depending on boxing skill... Chanter necro wiz... Could pet tank with charm pet. While necro dots and wizard nuke... Or fear kite(wizard mobs won't be nuking you if they are running)...

P.s. no mobs have to much HP when there is a necro around :shock:
Feairo - growing necromancer
Jeezman - growing shaman
Megosh - growing magican

staysa01

Postby staysa01 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:55 am

With those toons and your troubles, monk/shaman/enchanter. Use enchanter to pacify pull, and use stuns to lock down caster npcs.
Luxuria - Wizard
Delraich - Necro
Luscious - Bard
Blackhawk - Ranger
Ograk - Warrior
Taxia - Druid
Chantry - Enchanter
Prime - Monk
Grollo - Shaman
Staysa - Mage
Maexxna - Rogue

kronspik

Postby kronspik » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:16 am

You may want to consider swapping the shaman for a cleric at some point if you're running enchanter. Cleric HP buffs are very strong and shaman + enc have some redundancy in their benefits. Cleric also has access to pacify letting you do quick double pacifies. You can keep the shaman as a buff bot once you get focus.

If you're completely against leveling a new toon, shaman still works though.
Ekretash, Avalon, Rolando

Manstomper

Postby Manstomper » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:07 am

Dropping shammy gives.
-Worse slow(with monk tank).
-Worse stat buffs.
-Less DPS from pet and dots(if you have the Mana pool to dot heal and slow).

Adding cleric gives.
-better heals
-Better HP buffs
-Rez.

But another thought is... Can monk pull fine with FD? Then you can consider dropping enchanter for more DPS. Or a stronger tank like pally and you get Rez and paci and stuns that way also...
Jeezman - growing shaman
Megosh - growing magican

movember

Postby movember » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:09 pm

mnk/nec/shm is a great trio and can handle just about anything.

Shm pet has bash, and can interrupt
Nec pet casts stuns and bashes. Nec can ghetto mez interrupting any spell.
Monk can get Tstaff in the bazaar and stun mobs multiple times per fight for 5 sec

Overall ~2/5 of mob spells actually finish casting against my bazaar geared trio. If I eat one ice comet per fight on my monk it's really not a huge deal because SHM become awesome healers by 60.
Mnk/shm/nec iksar trio:

Rossignol (Monk)
Movember (Shaman)
Backpackly (Necro)

Manstomper

Postby Manstomper » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Don't forget necro can really ghetto heal too...
Jeezman - growing shaman
Megosh - growing magican

moghedan

Postby moghedan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Pick three pet classes, pet spam, and win.
or
Pick one character, and build a plan around it.

Don't be afraid to play a DPS class. The server has a shortage of them, and you will fit nicely into virtually everyone else's three man.
You don't have to three box.

How are you going to play?
Are you going to stick to open world zones and kite as much as possible, or pet tank? Avoid Melee; you cannot melee and pet tank, and moving melee cannot play any other toons... like your actual kiting class.

Are you going to tank them with a melee? You need a good slower, and a healer, and some form of mez because rooting just doesn't work most of the time. It sucks to run melee toons at the end of a session, so a porter is nice too. Melee dealing with casters, common in dungeons? You need resist buffs.

Going off what you have...

So, lets say you pick a monk as a primary, and the shaman as your buffer and healer. Wizard fits nicely, as you can pull and set up the fight with the monk, then trade over to the shaman to slow the mob and heal up the monk, and then, once the fight is well under control, fire off a nuke or two from the wizard. At the end of the day, the wizard ports you to PoK.

Say you pick the shaman, and you are kiting. So you add the Necro, and that's a second pet, plus more dots, and fear to go with the root rot of the shaman. You could add an enchanter for Clarity and Mez; charm once you get comfortable with the setup.

-
Ryogi - Paladin
Sonsi - Bard
Galleria - Merchant

Manstomper

Postby Manstomper » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:05 pm

moghedan wrote:
Say you pick the shaman, and you are kiting. So you add the Necro, and that's a second pet, plus more dots, and fear to go with the root rot of the shaman. You could add an enchanter for Clarity and Mez; charm once you get comfortable with the setup.
-

If you go shaman necro for kiting and root rot... No need to add chanter for clarity... Necro won't even want it because necro Mana regen is better. And shammy can do well enough with canni... Would be better off going another dps class like mage or wizard.. I would go mage personally... Oh wait I did.... I run shammy/necro/mage and I absolutely love it. And the only thing that slows me down is my kids at home...

But if you are choosing from your current classes. I would say monk/shammy for sure as that duo cam go far into game on its own... And add necro or wizard.

Necro adds.
-pet dps
-dot dps
-ability to fear kite
-snare(never over look the importance of snare)
-basically unlimited Mana
-insane dmg to undead.
-over all more utility then wizard.

Wizard adds.
-insane dmg once monk has aggro.
-ports.
- and that's it... Wizards are boring :D

Only downside of a necro would be you would have to make sure all are iksar... Because really people would look at you wierd if you weren't.
Jeezman - growing shaman
Megosh - growing magican

Return to “General Discussion”